1. Short summary / abstract
The guidance is aimed at nurses who take on the principle role of providing travel health services in general practice, occupational health settings schools, the NHS, private travel clinics and the armed forces.
Nurses may take on this role when not necessarily competent to do so and health requirements of travellers are becoming much more diverse and complex so those providing the services need to be better informed and up to date with best practice.
This short guidance outlines: -
· What is involved in providing a travel health service
· Practitioner education required
· Utilisation of essential and other resources
· Recommendations for and measuring of best practice
· Appendix 1 gives a useful list of resources such as websites, reading and other information
This guidance is a useful first step to understanding what is required of a travel health service whether providing basic or more specialist advice.
2. What question is the document addressing?
The guidance outlines the requirements and resources necessary for delivering a travel health service in a variety of settings
3. Type of study
4. Methods valid & appropriate?
Guidance produced by expert group – RCN Travel Health Forum Steering Committee
5. Results / recommendations reliable?
6. Any major problems and biases?
Will need to be updated regularly as websites/resources change or body of knowledge increases
7. Any other important / relevant studies which confirm or contradict?
1. Health Advice for Travellers (Leaflet T6) http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAdviceForTravellers/fs/en
2. fitfortravel http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/
3. joint committee on Vaccination and Immunisation http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/jcvi/
4. National Travel Health Network and Centre(NaTHNaC) http://www.nathnac.org
5. Department of Health – Immunisation Web Directory http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAndSocialCareTopics/Immunisation
6. Department of Health Immunisation Against Infectious Disease 1996 – “The Green Book” http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAndSocialCareTopics/GreenBook/GreenBookGeneralInformation/GreenBookGeneralArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4097254&chk=isTfGX
7. Department of Health, Health Advice for Travellers http://www.dh.gov.uk/policyandguidance/healthadvicefortravellers/fs/en
Travel health best practice
*** Note: These are the views of a professional expert rather than an official statement from his or her society, organisation or advisory committee.
|Post:||Nurse Consultant –Infection Control, DH|
(Society / Organisation / Advisory Committee):
|Member Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens |
Health Protection Adviser Royal College of Nursing P/T
Member Infection Control Nurses Association