|Abstract||This documents aim is to act as guidance for healthcare staff to ensure that construction and renovation activities in hospitals are undertaken in a safe and appropriate manner so that the risk to patients who are vulnerable to invasive Aspergillosis is reduced as far as possible.|
The guidelines are mainly consensus based with evidence used where available and include feedback from a wide consultation exercise in April 2001.
The guidelines include information on: -
· Construction associated Nosocomial invasive Aspergillosis with a literature review of of outbreaks in hospitals
· Classification of at-risk patients and risk factors
· Preventive measures to control Aspergillosis including construction and ventilation measures, infection control measures, chemoprophylaxis and diagnosis and surveillance.
· Organisation duties and responsibilities
· National reference laboratory facilities
· Appendices include sample construction permit, information leaflet on Aspergillosis during construction, recommended method for sampling of aspergillus species spores and notes on preparation of requirements for protection against invasive Aspergillosis
The protection of vulnerable patients will depend on effective infection control and engineering measures