So how else can I relieve earache?
Most ear infections will clear up on their own but there are ways you can help relieve the symptoms. NHS Direct gives the following advice:
- A painkiller such as children's paracetamol (e.g. Calpol) will help relieve the pain
- Place your child in an upright position with pillows
- A warm hot water bottle wrapped in a towel placed over the ear may give your child pain relief
- Keep your child away from smoky environments
- Don't let your child drink from a bottle while they are lying down
- Don't give decongestants as they will not help relieve the symptoms
- Don't poke any objects into the ear (e.g. cotton buds) as they may pack the wax tighter and can damage the ear
- If the condition gets worse or new symptoms develop or you are still worried call NHS Direct on 0845 4647
Date of Posting: 21/01/2003
Date of next Review: 15/01/2005
Do antibiotics cure earache?
So should antibiotics be routinely prescribed for AOM?
Earache; Otitis Media; Drugs, Non-Prescription